Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Plankton Wars / Algae in the Cupboard

Plankton Wars!
 Above is Sabrina and I with our plankton. When we finished it ended up looking like a sattelite instead of plankton so we took a picture of it revolving around the earth.
 (The two pictures above were taken by Mrs. Richardson) 
In this picture above we had just finished our plankton and were very hopeful for a win! At the beginning we were worried it would be to heavy, but when we set it in the water we knew that that was the least of our problems. There was nothing we could do to get ours to even sink and stay under the water unless we held it down with our finger. We definitely should have added some washers to our satellite. Ha
 I lucked out and looked at my Dad's Slim-Fast and found out that it contained Carrageenan. I'm assuming this might help keep it creamy or something of that nature.
(The two pictures above were taken by my brother Drew)
Above is a picture of Ranch Dressing I found in my refrigerator. It contains alginates which is a type of algae. I think Mrs. Richardson made us find algae in things we use everyday to open our eyes up to the different uses algae has and how dependent we really are on it. It was fun looking for the algae, even if I could only find two; Alginate and Carrageenan.
( The picture above was taken by Christa Thomas)
 These Jimmy Dean Sausage Biscuits contain Beta-Carotene. I wasn't able to find anything at my house that contained this, but Christa was nice enough to lend me this picture.

5 comments:

  1. That sattelite plankton I for sure thought would've worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the slim fast picture too. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still pretty bummed that our satalite didn't work. We worked so hard.. we may have over-estimated the situation..

    ReplyDelete